Ministry of the Environment institutes the Forest+ Bioeconomy modality in the National PES Program (PNPSA)
On the September 2nd of 2021, the Ministry of the Environment published Ordinance MMA nº 414/2021. The new Ordinance instituted the Forest+ Bioeconomy modality, within the scope of Ordinance MMA Nº 288, of July 2nd, 2020, which created the National Payment Program for Environmental Services - Floresta+.
Forest+ Bioeconomy modality aims to encourage the bioeconomy focused on payment for the provision of environmental services, understood as the set of activities for the improvement, recovery, monitoring and conservation of native vegetation in all biomes, in addition to have national coverage.
Among the strategic objectives of the Forest+ Bioeconomy modality are:
- prospect reports, documents and research already available that demonstrate potentialities and development opportunities for the biomes, as well as carry out complementary diagnoses and analyzes to enrich the mapping of opportunities for the bioeconomy;
- mobilize, qualify and integrate agents of the bioeconomy, impacting sustainable regional development through payment for environmental services;
- encourage the registration of bioeconomy projects on the Floresta+ Platform to facilitate access by interested parties to financial resources originating from international cooperation, climate finance, conversion of fines, in addition to voluntary initiatives, aiming at boosting the bioeconomy;
- foster the development of a bioeconomy component within the Digital Platform of the Floresta+ Program; and
- recognize initiatives that generate added value to sustainable forest management activities, whether timber or non-timber.
In addition, the Forest+ Bioeconomy modality will foster recognition of the direct contribution of sustainable forest management activities, whether timber or non-timber, for the protection of forests, entrepreneurial actions that have the potential to enhance the market for payments for environmental services, as well as the incentive to timber and non-timber forest production from native forests in Brazil.
Floresta+ is the program aimed at individuals or legal entities, public or private, family or community groups who, directly or through third parties, carry out environmental service activities in areas maintained with coverage of native or subject vegetation to your recovery. Various land ownership categories may be recognized and benefited throughout the national territory, whether they are private areas, permanent preservation areas and restricted use, settlements, indigenous lands or conservation units, as long as they have activities to protect and conserve natural resources.
The next steps are the formalization of economic activity, the definition of methodology, valuation and validation of the recognition of environmental services, the creation of the National Register of Environmental Services and the regulation of payment for environmental services, provided for in the Forest Code.
The Environmental team is available in case of doubts.